Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Remaining in, Abiding in & Communing with Jesus (1.22.20)

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. -  John 15:4


Faith Believers,
What do you suppose it means to remain in Jesus?

The King James Version of the Bible uses the word “abide,” which according to Dictionary.com means “to remain; continue” and “to have one’s abode.” It includes the idea of sustaining, withstanding, accepting without opposition or question, and even suffering for and submitting to.

All those ideas seem to fit a right relationship with Christ.

Maybe the best way to understand what Jesus is asking of us is to consider how He used the word “remain.” We are to relate to Him as a branch relates to a vine. Jesus said, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples” (John 15:5–8).

Jesus speaks more fully about His Intent as we remain in Him: “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete” (John 15:9–11). Jesus tells us that remaining in Him also means to remain in His Love. By obeying His Commands, we remain within the Love of Jesus; which results in the Joy of Jesus being made complete in us.

As important as it is to abide in Him, it is equally devastating to disobey His Command.

We are not only unproductive and ineffective in trying to bear fruit for Him in our own strength; but we wither and are cast aside like a dead branch, that is thrown into the fire. If you are a Christian who is out of fellowship with Christ, I urge you to come back to a close relationship with Him, by confession and repentance. Then commune with Him daily by prayer and Bible reading (two vital and important ways to remain in Him).

He Longs to welcome you back.

  -   Marilyn

~ Prayer ~
Lord Jesus,
How encouraging it is to hear Your Words of
     invitation to abide in You.
I accept!

With all my heart, I long to abide in You, to dwell
     always with You and in You.

Thank You for the picture of the vine and the branches.

Through Your Precious Holy Spirit, I choose to stay
      attached and allow Your Life and You Power to flow
     in me and through me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment