Sunday, January 23, 2022

Jesus is the Vine, and We are the Branches (1.23.22)

Remain in me, and I will remain in you.
No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.
Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
 - 
John 15:4

 
Fellow Faith Believers,
What do you suppose it means to remain in Jesus? The King James Version of the Bible uses the word “abide,” which according to Dictionary.com means “to remain; continue” and “to have one’s abode.” It includes the idea of sustaining, withstanding, accepting without opposition or question, and even suffering for and submitting to. All those ideas seem to fit a right relationship with Christ.

 
Maybe the best way to understand what Jesus is asking of us, is to consider how He used the word “remain.” We are to relate to Him as a branch relates to a vine. He said, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples” (John 15:5–8).
 
This means that abiding in Christ, maintaining a life-giving connection to Him - like a branch to a vine - is absolutely essential if we are to be productive Christians.

Christ offers to live in us, and invites us to live in Him!  To make our abode in Him, and remain there.  To accept Him without question.  To submit to Him.  And to be willing to suffer for Him. Abiding not only enables us to bear fruit, but if His Word also abides in us, we can ask for what we want and it shall be done for us. What a generous promise and benefit, a promise He repeats in John 16:24 - Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

 
Jesus speaks more fully about His intent as we remain in Him: As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete - John 15:9–11. Jesus tells us that remaining in Him also means to remain in His Love. By obeying His Commands, we remain within the love of Jesus, which results in the joy of Jesus being made complete in us.
 
As important as it is to abide in Him, it is equally devastating to disobey this command. We are not only unproductive and ineffective in trying to bear fruit for Him when we attempt to operate in our own strength; but we wither, and are cast aside like a dead branch that is thrown into the fire.

If you are a Christian who is out of fellowship with Christ, I urge you to come back to a close relationship with Him by confession and repentance. Then commune with Him daily by prayer and Bible reading (two vital and important ways to remain in Him).

He longs to welcome you back.

Jesus longs to welcome you back.
Our Wonderful Counselor, the Prince of
     Peace (Isaiah 9:6) 
longs to welcome you back.

 

~ Let Us Pray ~

Lord,
How encouraging it is to hear Your Words of invitation to abide in You. I accept!
With all my heart, I long to abide in You, to dwell always with You and in You.

Thank You for the picture of the Vine and the Branch. Through Your Precious Holy Spirit, I choose to stay 
attached; and to allow Your Life and Your Power to flow in me and through me.

Produce fruit in me that is lasting and attributable only to Your Holy Spirit at work.

Amen

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~


   ** This was written by Norval Hadley


No comments:

Post a Comment