Monday, December 24, 2018

"The Listening Side of Prayer" - First We Must Listen to God, Then We Pray... (12.24.18)

I keep asking that the GOD of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better - Ephesians 1:17


Faith Believers,
Elijah and Daniel both listened to GOD first, and then they prayed.

They based their prayers on what they “heard.” Elijah heard GOD speak directly to him. Daniel heard GOD speak through the scripture.

They took GOD’s Revelation seriously.
They took their prayer responsibility seriously.
They understood the listening side of prayer.

Listening prayer is simply this,
     first we listen and then we pray.

There are several different ways we can listen. First, we can hear directly from GOD. When GOD the Father speaks, it is always through His Son and His  Holy Spirit. Jesus said, My sheep hear my voice - John 10:27, NIV. Paul calls the Holy Spirit the “Spirit of Revelation” (Ephesians 1:17). The Spirit of Revelation dwells within us and is able to reveal what GOD wants to say directly to our hearts and minds. What is revealed to us from GOD should shape our prayers so that we know what to pray.

By listening we may even learn when not to pray for something.

At a time when the spirit of unrighteousness reigned in Israel, GOD said to Jeremiah, “Do not pray for this people nor offer any plea or petition for them: do not plead with me for I will not listen to you” (Jeremiah 7:16).

The link between our prayers and GOD’s Will is so intertwined, that GOD doesn’t want us praying for things that are not His Will.

A while the Father may not speak to you as directly as He did to Jeremiah or David; He may, at times, nudge your spirit when you start praying for someone or something that does not line up with His Will.  Always listen for God's still small voice and pray for discernment.
  -  Marilyn

~ Prayer ~
Spirit of Wisdom and Revelation,
Speak to my heart as I listen for You through God's Word. 
In my circumstances, through others, or in whatever way
     You choose to communicate with me!
May God's Words shape my prayers and guide my life
     into the midst of Your divine activity!
Help me to be attentive to God's voice, never doubting
     Your ability to share God's heart with my own.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment