Monday, November 3, 2014

Keeping Company with God through Prayer (11.3.14)

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand - Psalm 16:11

Faith Believers,
Human beings are created to live in fellowship with GOD. 
We are meant to have and enjoy life, in relationship with GOD.
Without this relationship, we are like branches cut off from a tree,
like toasters not plugged in.
Prayer is the way that we get in touch with GOD,
and the way we keep in touch with him.
I used to think of prayer as a spiritual exercise,
a discipline that had to be worked at.
Through the years, however, GOD has taught me to see it more
and more as the talking part of a friendship.
One of the early church fathers called it “keeping company with GOD.”
I like that!

Sometimes people ask how much time they should spend in prayer each day.
I used to suggest that twenty minutes of formal prayer a day was a minimum.
I reinforced that by reminding them of the many things
that need to be included in prayer, and then I added that twenty minutes a day
is only about 2 percent of our waking hours each day.

Now when people ask about the time they should spend in prayer,
I simply tell them they should spend enough time to build a good relationship.
Considering that the relationship we are talking about is life’s
most important love relationship, that means plenty of time.
What does GOD do for those who relate to him in love?
The psalmist put it well when he said, “You will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand.”

Thank GOD for what you have, trust GOD for what you need.
  - Marilyn Chaney 
________________
 
My Heavenly Father,
How blessed I am to be Your child
and to know that You desire to keep company with me.
To have relationship with me!

I am overflowing with thankfulness!
Please pour out, in me, a deeper desire to connect with You continually
rather than wedge You into a quick moment in my day.
I desire to be so aware of Your presence, living and working in
and through me, that this knowledge is persistently locked
into my consciousness.

May I commune with you as naturally and easily
as I breathe in and out.
Father, fill me with joy in Your presence!

In Your Son Jesus' name,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment