Thursday, April 9, 2015

Therefore I Tell You, Do Not Worry (4.9.15)

Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your life…. - Matthew 6:25

Faith Believers,
Worry and anxiety can constantly plague us. 

We worry about completing our to-do lists, what our bosses or co-workers think of us, or having enough money to make it through the month. It sometimes gets to the point where we don’t feel right if we’re not worried about something.

I know people who find part of their identity in being "worriers" and who actually define themselves by it. But when we Christians do this, it seems like a major contradiction. Worry is another word for fear. And in GOD’s Word, the message is clear: do not worry (Matthew 6:25); and do not fear (Isaiah 41:10).

In 2 Timothy 2:7, Paul writes that GOD did not give us a “spirit of fear.” 

So if fear is not from GOD, then it can be defeated through the work of GOD’s Spirit in us; and through the renewing of our minds in Christ. Changing our fearful minds is hard work, but the Apostle Paul challenges us to “work out our salvation” with the fear of GOD, not out of fear of the world around us (Philippians 2:12).

While our world may be full of frightening things at times, we are all works in progress. But when someone becomes a believer in Christ, that person gains the power to overcome fear. We are children of the One who created the world and everything in it. Therefore, we are co-heirs with Christ, the One who overcame the world (Romans 8:15-17; John 16:33)
     - Marilyn

Lord God, 
I recognize that worry is 
an attempt to control things 
over which I have no control. 

Fear rules in my mind 
when the things and people around me 
seem bigger and stronger than You. 

Forgive me and help me 
to switch my thinking from fear 
to trust in You. 

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment