Friday, September 26, 2014

Turning Completely to God through Fasting & Prayer (9.26.14)

GOD’s Word tells us that GOD “opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6). 

How can we walk in humility before our GOD?  We can recognize that humility puts us in a position to be able to receive from Him.

As individuals, families, churches, communities and nations; we are in desperate need of a fresh touch from GOD… we desperately need to hear His voice, instead of the clamor around us!

We live in a society of an “I’ll do it myself” mentality. However, there always comes a time when “ones self” just can’t do it anymore. Eventually, we realize that we are not GOD, and that we are in desperate need of Him!

That was the situation in Judah during Jehoshaphat’s day. An army from several nations was on the march against them. Outnumbered and in despair, they turned to GOD, fasted and prayed. Their fasting put them in a place of humility where they could pray the right prayer. After they fasted, Jehoshaphat’s prayer was not a prayer asking GOD to bless their efforts, nor to do what they wanted Him to do.

Instead, it was an astonishing prayer of humility in which he said. “O Lord, we do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you (2 Chronicles 20:2-12). Fasting brings us to a proper place of humility before GOD, where we are able to pray prayers of humility, faith and dependence.

Fasting also helps us to focus ourselves upon GOD and allows us to be lead by the Holy Spirit. Doing without food for an extended period of prayer, helps us to put away distractions and turn completely to the Lord. We are living in a time in which GOD is calling His Church back into an intimate relationship with Himself – a time when we come directly to Him and get to know Him deeply.

FATHER GOD,
There is so much I want to know about You,
and yet I continue to go off in a myriad
of different directions, rather than
listening intently to Your still, small voice.

Give me the strength to fast and pray;
so that I can lean deeply
into Your heart and know You better.

Teach me to overcome my flesh
and all that distracts me.
May fasting become a holy habit
that strengthens my faith and puts me in
a posture of complete dependence upon You.

In Your Sons' Jesus name I pray,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment