Friday, January 31, 2014

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (1.31.14)

Give thanks in all circumstances - 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

Paul wrote in Thessalonians, "Give thanks in all circumstances," - 1 Thessalonians 5:18
We read that verse and think it rather nice. So we slap a sloppy coat of 'thanks'giving on life and go about our day. In reality, a lot of us are not very thankful at all.

Notice the Bible doesn't command us to "feel thankful" in all circumstances. 
Instead it commands us to "give thanks in all circumstances." When I begin to praise GOD in a difficult situation, even if I don't feel like it, many times the scales fall from my eyes and I begin to see glimpses of His glory sprinkled on the black backdrop of the situation.  
Like diamonds on black velvet. 

Sometimes I don't see glory in tragedy, but I still praise GOD because I know He is there.

Thanksgiving changes our perspective despite broken dreams, broken relationships and tumultuous circumstances. As you praise GOD for who He is, and thank Him for what He's done in your life, your perspective of will Him grow larger and your problems will grow smaller. As a result, you will experience a deeper sense of intimacy with GOD as the emotional gap between what you know to be true, and how you feel at the moment, closes.

On many occasions in the Psalms, David complained about his circumstances - see Psalms 42, 57, 62. 
But more often than not, about midway through David's laments, he begins praising GOD for who He is and thanking GOD for what He's done. And you know what happened? All of a sudden David starts feeling better! Life isn't so bad after all! His problems appeared smaller as his love for GOD grew larger, and he begins to see GOD's glory shining through his situation.

Why is that? In the writing of one Psalm, David shifted from depression to rejoicing. 
He didn't wait until GOD changed his situation, solved his problem or made him feel better before he began thanking and praising Him. When we stop complaining and grumbling, and begin speaking GOD's love language of gratitude and praise, our circumstances will change. 

GOD want us to praise Him in all situations!

- Prayer - 

Dear Lord,
I praise Your name. 
I exalt Your name forever. 

Even though I may not understand what is going on in my life, 
I will trust you because I know every trial will conform me 
into who you have destined me to become. 

You are awesome GOD 
and I love you for all that you have done 
and is going to do in my life. 

In Jesus Name I pray,
Amen 


No comments:

Post a Comment